Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Almost there!!!

Hello family, friends, teachers, neighbors, fellow abolitionist, and random bloggers stumbling upon this blog

My name is Elizabeth Held and one day this past year something so big and so important, something that I was blind to, slapped my across the face and demanded my attention.

Sex Trafficking

In 2005, the Department of Justice reported there have been an estimated 100,000 to 150,000
sex slaves in the U.S. since 2001.  Almost 300,000 American children are at risk for trafficking into the sex industry. (U.S. Dept of State).

I knew about human slavery and the sex trade, but it was always in the back of my mind.  It was something far away, a foreign affair, third world problem.  I had blinders on to the idea let alone the true fact about trafficking in the United States--my own country--my own state.

Taking the blinders off, I now have a heart for the victims of sex trafficking, and a heart to stop it.

Because of this,  I am doing a project.  1 dress.  In support of women and young girls who are victims and survivors of human slavery.

First, meet Rahab's Hideaway. <http://www.rahabshideaway.org/>
Rahab's is based in Columbus Ohio and is a beacon of light for vulnerable youth and young adult women and provides a way of escape and healing.  For more information check out their website!

I, Elizabeth Held, am wearing 1 dress everyday for a pledged five months (potentially a whole year!!!).  1 dress to raise awareness and support for Rahab's Hidewaway and their good works.  1 dress represents the beauty and value of these women.

I will post on this blog a photo of me in the dress everyday so YOU can see all the crazy outfits that are created!

If you have a heart for these women, and a passion for the abolishment of human slavery and sex trafficking you can go straight to Rahab's website and donate, or you can wait and donate to support them through the 1 dress project as soon as I get the donations to work on this blog!!

I am so excited to start this project and I hope that it brings awareness and a stop to the deadly business of sex trafficking.


Thank you so much for your passion and support.  And keep checkin out this blog!!
Love, Support, Spread the Word, Change Lives

No comments:

Post a Comment